Who Supplies Your Customers Mini-Excavators? - Market Focus
Construction Equipment Distribution magazine is published by the Associated Equipment Distributors, a nonprofit trade association founded in 1919, whose membership is primarily comprised of the leading equipment dealerships and rental companies in the U.S. and Canada. AED membership also includes equipment manufacturers and industry-service firms. CED magazine has been published continuously since 1920. Associated Equipment Distributors
Home         About Us         Media Kit         Subscribe         Previous Issues         Search Articles         Meet the Staff        AED Homepage

CED Menu

Arrow Home
Arrow About Us
Arrow Media Kit
Arrow Print Subscription
Arrow Digital Subscription
Arrow Search Articles
Arrow Meet the Staff
Arrow Trade Press Info
Arrow AEDNews



Premium Sponsor:
Infor

SECTION: Market Focus

Questions or feedback?
Contact Kim Phelan at (800) 388-0650 ext. 340.


Who Supplies Your Customers Mini-Excavators?

Written By: Mary Sedor

Article Date: 02-01-2006
Copyright(C) 2008 Associated Equipment Distributors. All Rights Reserved.


54 percent of end users own and/or rent mini-excavators.

Mini-excavators, compact excavators - whatever you call them these diminutive members of the excavator family have increased in popularity dramatically since the early 1990s.

According to AED's Rental 2006 survey, 54 percent of end users now own and/or rent mini-excavators. And while more than half of that group (56 percent) only rent them, the other 44 percent purchase and rent mini-excavators.

Given that so many end users rent mini-excavators, it's not surprising that 67 percent of equipment dealers and 64 percent of rental companies have mini-excavators in their fleets.

The key to increasing your mini-excavator sales, manufacturers say, is listening to your customers.

"Find out what kind of jobs contractors are doing, what equipment their using and what attachments they're using or could use to improve their productivity," says a representative of Mustang Manufacturing. "Get involved with your local trade associations and get to know the owners and operators. Most important, don't be afraid to ask questions and find out what they like and what they don't."

Manufacturers also suggest you consider the following customer needs when selling mini-excavators:

  • Ergonomics and comfort (i.e., lever placement and functionality)
  • Dig depth and reach
  • Attachment capabilities - is there enough hydraulic flow to power attachments
  • Tail swing: Conventional, zero house swing, or zero tail swing

[ TOP ]